Friday, May 8, 2009

And so it begins....

I’m sitting here in the Ottawa airport, at 5pm waiting for my flight. International flights are relegated to the boondox of the airport – gates 13-17, and quite a walk with heavy bags! Speaking of heavy bags, Mom and Dad will notice a $100 Air Canada charge on my ‘emergency’ visa – my checked luggage was over-weight by 4 kilos (but since I live in the 21st century, I couldn’t tell you how much that really is, but it is freaking heavy!) and so they charged me. I was told that it was a hundred bucks no matter what the overage would be, but didn’t like the guy’s suggestion that I buy a duffle bag and transfer some of the weight – I can barely carry what I have with me now; adding a fourth bag to that line-up would be asking for trouble.

And so, that leaves me already in the hole financially and I haven’t even left Ottawa yet. But hey, it was to be expected and I’m rolling with the punches. I’m just glad I sold out and let my editor do what he wanted to my article about Working Girl – he was an idiot who writes like a 13 year old Twilight fan, but what the hell, money is money.

Now I sit in Ottawa’s semi-new grown-up airport waiting for my flight. I know it’s early, but looking around me, I’m the youngest individual here by at least 30 years. I guess there aren’t many overly-punctual 20 somethings going to London tonight. I hope to get on the plane, pop a couple of gravol and a robaxacet and sleep until I land in Heathrow ‘tomorrow’ morning at 7am.

On the docket for tomorrow is getting myself an oyster pass, taking the tube from the airport to Earl’s Court where I’ll transfer to the circular line to get to Paddington station (all while minding the gap, mind you). I had originally planned on walking from the station to my hotel – it is a 10 minute walk – but having gotten a fist full of pounds from my parents as a bon voyage gift, in tandem with my ridiculous need to pack almost everything I own ensuring my luggage would make Lou Farrigno think twice about carting it through London, I think I’ll opt for the cab. I’ll leave my stuff at the hotel, then strike out into London.

I’m going to check out Westminster Abbey first (since I can’t do it on a Sunday because of services) and the Jewel Tower, which is a museum of Parliament. I have a Frommers walking guide that is going to prove quite useful – there are tips about other site around the main two that I want to see, so I’ll have to see what’s what when I get there.

Well, I think that’s in for now. I’m dedicated to posting about my trip as much as possible, so you know that means I will inevitable get lazy about it in a few days, but I will make the effort!

Cheers for now….

2 comments:

  1. that would be 10 lbs! Wow, if I had been the agent checking you in, I would have let you pass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then, I think you should get a job at Heathrow's Air Canada desk then before next week.... hun? Yeah, I'm just going to mail home some of my laundry.

    ReplyDelete